Friday, January 31, 2020

January Wrap Up


I read seven books to start the year. Overall a good start I think. My goal for the year is eighty. That's the highest goal I've ever set. So far I'm on track. We'll see if I can keep up the pace. Here are my January reads, and what I thought of them.

The Unhoneymooners
The Unhoneymooners

I don't have a lot to say about this one. The story was kind of cute, but there was way too much sex for me. I'm kind of a prude.

The Bridge to Belle Island

Although this book started out slow for me, I ended up really enjoying it. I love Julie Klassen's writing style. She writes great characters that grow along with the story. I also loved this setting. I would love to revisit it again. The mystery was very well done. There were so many potential killers, I was kept guessing until the very end. If you enjoy romance and mystery, I would highly recommend this book. 

I received a free copy of this book for review from Netgalley, but I also purchased a copy for myself.


 The Faith-Filled Grandmother: Promises, Prayers & Practical Advice for Today
The Faith-Filled Grandmother

This was a very timely read for me. I especially appreciated the chapters that dealt with struggling with your adult children. I will probably pick this up again at a later date. Highly recommended for all the Christian grandmothers out there. Very encouraging.

The Stationery Shop
The Stationery Shop

This was the Modern Mrs. Darcy Book Club pick for January. I enjoyed it , but it didn't blow me away. I'm generally not a fan of young love that doesn't work out, and then the lovers are reunited later in life after they have both married and had children. That's not a spoiler. It's revealed in the first chapter. It turned out better than I thought it would, but there is still an overall feeling of disappointment throughout the book. Still, learning some of the history of Iran was enlightening.

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek

My first five star read of the year! I loved this book. I listened to the audio version, and that enhanced the story even more. The main character was amazing. So strong and brave, I was rooting for her the whole time. My only complaint was that it ended abruptly. I needed a few more chapters to wrap things up.

I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley for review, but I purchased a copy for myself as well.

An Uncommon Woman
An Uncommon Woman

I did a full review here.

Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
Veiled in Smoke

This is my favorite Jocelyn Green book so far. I loved this story. It started right off as a page turner. It dealt with some heavy topics like PTSD and mental illness. The historical detail is so interesting. I loved this time period, and learning about the Chicago fire was fascinating. The characters were deep and flawed. I really ached for them through out the book. There was a mystery that kept me guessing as well. The whole story was really well done. Highly recommended!

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher for free for the purpose of review.

Have you read any of these? Let me know in the comments. Check out more book recommendations at Modern Mrs. Darcy.

3 comments:

  1. I am a prude too, so I am glad you mentioned that part! On that note, would you say the relationship in The Stationary Shop was adulterous later in life when they reunite, or would that be a spoiler. I have been wanting to read it but try to have discernment about what messages I am allowing into my heart and try to avoid adulterous or premarital sex in novels. I read and loooooved The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek! It made my Top 5 Books of 2019 list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was concerned about that too. I didn't feel like it was adultery. More like closure. I don't think it's a spoiler to say her husband was supportive of her reconnecting with her first love. Some of the readers in book club thought she was emotionally too attached to her old boyfriend, but I felt like it all worked out ok. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to start moderating comments. I've had a very persistent spammer.🙄