Friday, June 8, 2018

May Wrap Up

I'm linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy to share my monthly wrap up. Here are the books I read in May.

The Other Alcott

This was an interesting book about the real life of the younger sister of Louisa May Alcott. I confess I got a little board towards the end. It had a lot of information about art and artists of the time. You might like it if you enjoyed Little Women or enjoy historical fiction about real people.

No One Ever Asked

This was a real page turner, and it dealt with a lot of current issues really well. I have enjoyed all of the books I've read by Katie Ganshert and highly recommend her as an author.

Then She Was Gone

Such a good thriller about a woman whose daughter has been missing for several years. She finally meets someone  and tries to move on with her life only to discover her new boyfriend has a little girl that looks a lot like her missing daughter. Weird! It's a little predictable and a little contrived, but a lot of fun.

Force of Nature (Aaron Falk, #2)

This was another thriller/mystery that I enjoyed this month. Jane Harper sure can write a good mystery. I thought these characters were really well developed. I wasn't able to figure out who did it. They all seemed guilty. This works well as a stand alone, but I would suggest starting with the first book in the series, The Dry.

A Light on the Hill (Cities of Refuge Book #1)

This one was a little too romancy for me. I was also hoping for more time spent in the city of refuge, but most of this was a travel story. Still, if you enjoy Biblical era fiction, you will enjoy this book.

An American Marriage

This is one of those books that's hard to read and harder to review. I don't know if I liked it, but it was really well written and gave me a lot to think about. If you are sensitive to language or infidelity you will probably want to steer clear. Overall though, I found it to be worth the read.

Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions (An Auntie Poldi Adventure)

This was my least favorite book of the month. It started out ok and kind of amusing. Then I got really board with it. At about 75% I skipped to the end. 

In His Image: 10 Ways God Calls Us to Reflect His Character

This was my non-fiction for the month. It was so good. I have loved everything Jen Wilkin has written and I can't recommend her enough.

Have you read any of these? Let me know in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. American Marriage is getting so much buzz, but I just think the themes would be too difficult for me. I think it is one I will have to pass on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved all of Wilkin's other books and recently bought In His Image so I am excited to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to start moderating comments. I've had a very persistent spammer.🙄