Friday, July 3, 2015

Book Review ~ The Mapmaker's Children

The Mapmaker's Children is a frame story following Sarah Brown, the daughter of abolitionist John Brown, in the years leading up to the Civil War, and Eden a modern day woman struggling with marriage problems and infertility. Eden moves into an old house that was a stopping place for the Underground Railroad. Sarah was a mapmaker for the UGRR.

I enjoy Civil War era stories, and I thought this one okay. I definitely enjoyed Sarah story more than the modern day one. I felt like the author did an excellent job  with the language of the time and gave a lot of background information that really made the story come alive. Eden story fell a little flat for me. Her character was hard for me to like.

I enjoyed the historical details included in the book. I didn't know a lot a bout John Brown and his beliefs before. There were some interesting articles included in the story. I thought this was a nice touch.

Overall, I would recommend this book. It was a quick read, and I enjoyed it. I was hoping for a little bit more from it, but, if you like historical fiction, you should give it a try.

I received this book from Blogging For Books for free for the purpose of review.

No comments:

Post a Comment