Sunday, July 12, 2015

Book Review: The Truth According To Us

The Truth According to Us

This book about a family in a small town had a lot to love. The characters and the setting were charming, and I enjoyed finding out the town's secrets. Much of the story was told through the eyes of Willa. She was a spunky twelve year old that wanted to find out the truth about her family. I probably would have enjoyed the story more if it was all told from Willa's point of view. Much of the story was told from the perspective of her aunt and there were some letters and documents thrown in as well. The character's were well drawn, but I found the writing style rather disjointed.

I received this book from Netgalley for free for the purpose of review.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I'm hearing a little mixed reviews of this book. Do you think we were all just so excited to see Barrows write an adult book? I still want to read it, but I think yours is not the only wish to see the story through Willa's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it was a little ambitious,and my expectations were too high. I lhaven't read any of her children's books, but I loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Also, I think the egalley copy I read had a lot of errors, like missing quotation marks, that made it confusing. I may give it another try with a finished copy.

      Delete