Sunday, August 2, 2020

July Wrap Up

My reading has slowed down somewhat this summer. I'm not sure why, but I'm pretty far off of my goal for eighty books in 2020. I'm going to try to read a lot in August. Maybe I'll hit my stride. I read four books in July and overall, enjoyed them. Here are my thoughts.

The Last Train to Key West
The Last Train to Key West

I loved the setting and the background story in this novel. For some reason this author's books always fall a little flat for me. I'll continue to read them because I feel they get continually better, but I wish I could get as lost in them as other people seem to.

The Haunting at Bonaventure Circus

Jaime Jo Wright is my go to author for split time thriller/mysteries. Her books are so unique. Circuses are a little creepy anyway, but throw in a serial killer and a ghost, and it will keep you up at night. Her characters have great chemistry and tension, and her male leads are the right mix of brooding and swoony. The mystery kept me guessing the whole time. I had my suspicions, but wasn't able to figure things out at all. So well done! I recommend this book to readers who enjoy edge of your set mysteries and split time novels.

I received a copy of this book for the purpose of review from the publisher and Netgalley.

These Nameless Things
These Nameless Things

This is a complex and atmospheric novel perfect for fans of the TV show Lost and The Shack. It has themes of  grief and redemption that really make you think about eternity. Much of it is based on Inferno, which I've never read, so a lot of the symbolism went over my head. That didn't keep mt from enjoying the story and wanting to find out what was going to happen. Some parts of the story didn't have answers, so if you like everything to be neatly wrapped up, you may be disappointed. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy speculative novels.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher for the purpose of review.

Love and a Little White Lie

This was a delightful contemporary romance. I enjoy books set in churches, so this one had me right from the start. There were plenty of moral dilemmas to work around and lessons to be learned that kept things interesting. The chemistry between the main characters was lots of fun. Such great banter! You can't have a good romance without a little angst. Highly recommended!

I received a copy of this book for free from Netgalley and the publisher for the purpose of review.

How has your reading been going this summer? Let me know in the comments.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I've had to start moderating comments. I've had a very persistent spammer.🙄