Saturday, December 31, 2022

December Book Reviews

 The Reading List ~ This is one of those "books about books". It's sweet and sad. The characters are grieving the people they have lost and trying to connect with the people that are still in their lives. Ir's also about the importance of books and libraries in our lives. Trigger warning for suicide.

The Sisters of Sea View ~ I love Julie Klassen's books, and this one is no exception. I'm so excited it's going to be a series. The romances are so sweet and the characters are fun and quirky. I also appreciated her representation of some of the difficulties people with disabilities had during this time. This story is well told and I highly recommend it. I can't wait to read the next book. Thank you Netgalley and Bethany house for the ARC.

All the Lost Places  ~ This book is beautifully written and atmospheric. The characters are interesting and complex, but for some reason I really struggled to connect to the story. Like, to the point I struggled to keep up with what was going on. I know I'm in the minority because this book is getting great reviews, so don't take my word for it. Try it for yourself. Thank you Netgalley and Bethany House for the ARC.

The Marriage Portrait ~ So, this one gave me I Was Anastasia vibes. It has a very ominous tone, and, historically, you know things don't work out well for the main character. But then there are glimpses of hope here and there. It's excellently written, and I can't stop thinking about the ending. Recommended if you don't mind heavier literary fiction.

The Christmas Letters ~ This is my second reading of this novella. I have mixed feelings. The first two-thirds are charming and upbeat even through the hard times. The final third is a bit of a downer. The more modern family doesn't do so well. It's an interesting commentary on the twentieth century through the letters of three generations of women. It's good and short and it has recipes.

Anna Karenina ~ I read it. It was a long term project. I listened to the Audible edition narrated by Maggie Gyllenhaal which was fantastic. I highly recommend going that route if you choose to pick this one up.

The Circus Train ~ This one really tugged at my heart strings. Although I struggled at times to stay interested, the story really picked up in the second half and kept me up late reading. I became very invested in Lena and Alexandre and their love story. Recommended for historical romance readers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I've had to start moderating comments. I've had a very persistent spammer.🙄