Saturday, May 14, 2016

Quick lit ~ May

I've been participating in the Bout of Books read-a-thon this week, which has been lots of fun, and it's helped me get a little extra reading done. Here are my most recent reads and what I thought about them.

Recently finished:
Sisi: Empress on Her Own

Empress Sisi of Austria was the Princess Diana of her day. Pursued by the press and constantly criticized, she was a fascinating character. Ms. Pataki does an excellent job balancing the bitter with the sweet. I highly recommend this series if you like fictional biographies. Make sure you start with The Accidental Empress. 

The Summer Before the War

This was an interesting follow up to Sisi. It is set in England just before the start of WW1. Her death occurs a few years earlier, and her empire fights on the side of the Germans. This story centers around three friends that live in an English village. It was charming and sweet and a little sad. Give it a try if you enjoyed Downton Abbey. 

Miriam (Treasures of the Nile)
I did a review of this book here. 

Currently Reading:
Simply Tuesday: Small-Moment Living in a Fast-Moving World

I'm really loving this one. Emily's books always speak to me and meet me where I am. I would recommend checking out all of her books.

The Progeny (Descendants of the Blood Countess #1) 

I just started this one, but so far it's really good. I enjoy Tosca Lee's writing style. The other books I've read by her were Biblical fiction. This one's a thriller. I'll be doing a review for it soon.

Check out more Quick lit posts at Modern Mrs. Darcy.




2 comments:

  1. I have heard great things about The Summer Before the War and read a different book by the author (Mr Pettigrews last Stand) so I think I want to read it soon!

    Here are my April reads: http://elle-alice.blogspot.com/2016/05/april-book-reviews.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Elle Alice!

      Delete