Sunday, May 10, 2015

Book Review: The Pharaoh's Daughter by Mesu Andrews


The Pharaoh's Daughter (Treasures of the Nile)

I'm always a little hesitant to read Biblical Fiction. I have a lot of my own ideas about the characters, and if the author strays too far from the Biblical account it bugs me. The Pharaoh's Daughter was a very good blend of history and fiction. It tells the very familiar story of Moses floating in the Nile, but focuses on his Egyptian mother.

There are a lot of familiar characters in this book. Miriam and her mother play an important part, but the story is mostly about Annipe and Moses, the Hebrew baby she rescues from the Nile. The author assumes that Annipe has to keep Moses' heritage a secret. This leads to lots of palace intrigue, which makes the story very exciting. If you enjoy stories about royals, this is a good one to read. The plot takes an interesting twist at the end, and I am still not sure how I feel about it. Overall, however, I loved it, and I look forward to reading the second book in the series.

I would recommend this book to readers of historical fiction and Biblical fiction, especially if you like  royal families and palace intrigue.

I received a free copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah for the purpose of review.

2 comments: