Monday, September 30, 2013

What I read in September

It's finally fall. I know this because the days are getting shorter, and there is a lot of football on the television. Notice I did not say the weather was cooler. It is. A little. But not really enough to mention. Ah, Florida. I love you, I really do, but your summers are endless.

Anyway, I got a lot of reading done this month, so let me commence with my list. My library got some books for me through interlibrary loan. They make me feel so special.

Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar ~ I was a little disappointed in this Biblical fiction story about Rahab. She started out as a strong, self reliant character. As the story progressed, I felt like she became a little wimpy. I also felt the story was a little too "New Testament", but the setting was Old Testament. It was just OK for me.

Forbidden by Tosca Lee and Ted Dekkar ~  This is book one in the Book of Mortals series. My son read these when they first came out, and loved them. I enjoyed this one as well, but it is a little gory. I would classify this as dystopian  with a vampire kind of vibe to it. I will be reading the next book. I gotta find out what happens.

What Happens When Women Say Yes to God  by Lysa TerKeurst ~ Very good Bible study on obedience. I did a couple of blog hops for it here and here and here.

A Corpse at St. Andrews Chapel by Mel Starr ~ This is the 2nd book in the Hugh de Singleton series and I liked it even more than the 1st (The Unquiet Bones). Hugh is a gentleman and a surgeon in medieval England. He works for a wealthy land owner, healing the sick and solving the occasional murder. I love this series so far. It has so much detail, and Hugh is a wonderful hero. Can't wait to get my hands on the next one.  

The Governess of Highland Hall by Carrie Turansky ~ A very enjoyable upstairs/downstairs romance I reviewed here.

Misery Loves Company by Rene Gutteridge ~ I saw this book reviewed somewhere and thought it sounded interesting. A few days later, it came up as a Kindle freebie! The story is about a book blogger who is kidnapped by an author. At first she thinks it's because she has given him bad reviews for his most recent books, but she learns that there is more to it than that. It is not an easy read. this woman endures quite a lot to solve the mystery, but, if you like suspense, you'll like this one.

What did you read this month? Any suggestions for me? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment