Thursday, August 15, 2013

My #Saywhat Moment

Her name was Susan. She was a captive audience in my living room. She had come to my home to sell me a very expensive vacuum cleaner. She did her demo, and I listened politely. In exchange for this I got a clean living room carpet and a small, rather useless camera. She got stuck at my house with no sale and no ride for an hour.

To say this was awkward is an understatement. I'm extremely introverted and I struggle with small talk. Thankfully, she was somewhat chatty. We talked about life for a few minutes. She asked me what my husband did . I said he was studying to be a minister. This brought on a rather long diatribe about why she didn't like ministers because they were so rich and took money from little old ladies.

At some point during all of this I got the strong impression that I was supposed to share my faith with with Susan. After hearing her talk about all that was wrong with churches, and Christians, and pastors, I was a little hesitant.  But I was obedient. I asked her a few questions, and found out that when she was young she went to a hell-fire-and-brimstone church. All she had ever heard about God was how judgmental he was, and that he couldn't wait to send people to Hell. Pastors scared her, Christians scared her, and God scared her. I was able to share God's love with her, and tell her that I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of God. I'm a Christian because of the love He showed when He sent Christ to die for me.

I never saw Susan again after the hour we spent together. I still pray for her whenever I think about her. I'm so thankful I was obedient that day. I hope today she is serving the God that I know. The one that loves her more than anything.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for being obedient in the moment. You may never know the outcome of your discussion but God knows. Thanks for the reminder that we need to listen to those promptings! I find it very intimidating to speak up about my beliefs! But it is getting easier with each little push that I say Yes to!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Esther. It's hard for me to speak up as well. i don't get a chance to witness very often, but when I do, God always tells me what to say. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that must have taken incredible courage--to go against your natural tendencies and speak out in faith. What a great testimony of obedience! Thank you for sharing your story--I'm sure it will encourage readers to step out when they get the chance.

    ReplyDelete