Monday, September 2, 2013

Summer Reading 2013

Even though it's still technically summer, and even though Florida will still have hot weather for several more weeks, I thought I would update everyone on what I read this summer. I got through a few books, some of which had been languishing on my book shelf and in my Kindle cloud for a long time. Here they are along with some of my thoughts about them.

1. Cranford ~ Elizabeth Gaskell
I really loved this Victorian era book set in the quaint town of Cranford. It centered around several aging ladies who ,for various reasons, had never married. The BBC series is also excellent.

2.What Happens When young Women Say Yes to God ~ Lysa TerKeurst
I read this with my girls over the summer. I was looking for a Bible study for young women that didn't focus on dating and purity. This book fit the bill. Elin, Anna, and I had great discussions about how extraordinary your life will be when you obey God.

3. The Secret Keeper: A Novel of Kateryn Parr ~ Sandra Byrd
I'm not a huge fan of  Tudor era fiction, but I am enjoying this series. This book was about Henry XVIII's last wife, told through the eyes of her lady in waiting. Lots of details about the period, and the cover is gorgeous.

4. Gideon ~ Pricilla Shirer
I did this Bible study with the Living Proof blog community. A really good look at one of the Bible characters we think we know a lot about. I learned a lot, and highly recommend this one. I did it without the videos, and still got a lot out of it.

5. Jane Austen Ruined My Life ~ Beth Patillo
Enjoyable chicklit about a scorned woman who goes to England to dig up dirt on Jane Austen. She believes all of her problems stemmed from the fact that she was always looking for Mr. Darcy when, in reality, he doesn't exist. (Um, no dear, he doesn't exist. He's a fictional character.) She ends up discovering a secret society that is preserving the undiscovered letters of Jane Austen. As I said earlier, this was a fun book. I'm not a big fan of chicklit, but this one was pretty good.

6. Death Comes to Pemberly ~ P.D. James
I chose this book because of the title. I love it. The story was alright, too. It's a Pride and Prejudice sequel with a murder mystery. If you like murder mysteries, I would recommend it.

7. All of a Kind Family ~ Sydney Taylor
I read this book aloud to Anna. It's very sweet story about five Jewish sisters living in New York. They have adventures, and there are a couple of twists to the plot. If you have little girls that can sit and listen for a while, read them this book.

8. False Pretenses ~ Kathy Herman
This is the start of a Christian Mystery series, Secrets of Rioux River Bayou. One of the main characters has a secret that finally catches up to her. I thought this was a fun book, but I probably won't read the rest of the series.

9.The Fine Art of Insincerity ~ Angela Hunt
I'm a big Angela Hunt fan, so I really liked this book. The story is about three sisters who come together one weekend to clean out their grandmother's beach house. They all have issues and secrets, and they are more than a little self centered. Eventually, they see the value in their relationship to each other. This was an easy read, but it had a lot to say.

10. A Cast of Stones ~ Patrick Carr
This is the first book in the Staff and the Sword series. I really enjoyed it. I would highly recommend it of you like the fantasy genre.

11. Fly Away ~ Lynn Austin
I am a huge Lynn Austin fan. She's easily my favorite author. That being said, this was not a favorite of mine. I think it was one of the first books she wrote. It kind of read like a very long gospel tract. It got better as the story progressed, but still, I would recommend any of her other books over this one. In fact she has a new book coming out in a few weeks that I'm very excited about.

12. Iscariot ~ Tosca Lee
I'm still thinking about this one. On the one hand, it was a very well written story that held my attention the whole way through. On the other hand, I didn't agree with her portrayal of Judas, or of Jesus. I don't know if I would really recommend this book even thought it was interesting.

13. The Remedy for Regret ~ Susan Meissner
I loved this book. The main character is searching for forgiveness and love from her father. She finally realizes that what she really needs she can find in God. This was probably my favorite summer read, and one of my favorites this year.

Well, there's my summer reading in a nutshell. Some were good, some were okay. I'd love to hear what you read this summer. Let me know in the comments.



No comments:

Post a Comment