Thursday, October 13, 2016

Quick Lit ~ October

Here are the books I've been reading lately and what I thought about them.

Burial Rites
This was The Deliberate Readers' book club pick for the month. Overall, it was beautifully written. I really sympathized with the main character. It was very slow moving, though. I skimmed through some of the middle parts to find out what happened. Good if you enjoy slower paced, character driven novels.

The Cautious Maiden (The Everstone Chronicles #4)
I enjoyed this Victorian era romance. I did a full review here.

Waves of Mercy
Lynn Austin is one of my favorite authors, and I got to be on her influencer team for this book. It was a lot of fun, and I got a free book. I did a full review here

The Stones Cry Out (Raleigh Harmon Mystery #1)
I read this one during hurricane Matthew. It was a good diversion, and moved quickly. I have the next two books in the series, and plan on reading them soon. This is my one of my mom's favorite series, so it will be nice to discuss it with her. Raleigh Harmon is an interesting character. I'm interested to see where the story goes.

Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely
If you have ever felt rejected, I would recommend this book. I've been dealing with feeling left out, duped, and, well, uninvited lately. This book was a good reminder that a lot of the feelings we deal with right now are tied to things that happened in the past, and that God never rejects us. I plan on buying my own copy so I can highlight and mark it up good.

This Road We Traveled


I thought this was a really well written and well researched book. I loved the miltigenerational points of view. The female characters were strong but still feminine. I found the main male characters to be a little infuriating at times. The main part of the book took place on the Oregon trail. I learned a lot about this period of history and found it fascinating. Once the main characters settled down, I felt the story really slowed down, but it was still a very good read.

I received this book for free from Netgalley for the purpose of review.

Those are my read for this month. Check out more Quick Lit posts at Modern Mrs. Darcy.







8 comments:

  1. Jill ... thanks for these new-to-me reads! My to-read pile grows by the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Linda. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I'm just checking in from MMD's website. I LOVE Lynn Austin and I buy the Kindle editions (at full price and I almost NEVER do that) when she has a new release. My husband and I share a Kindle account with our 3 grown daughters and all 4 of us gals LOVE Lynn Austin. We haven't read it yet, but it's waiting! And I have the new Jane Kirkpatrick checked out from the library. So many books, so little time! If you like Lynn Austin, you'd love Susan Meissner (Fall of Marigolds was my favorite), Elizabeth Musser (Swan House was my favorite) and Cathy Gohlke (Saving Amelie was my favorite). Have you read any of these authors? Everything the 3 of these ladies write is incredible!!!

    Susan
    moot96 AT aol DOT com (I don't use the gmail address)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Susan Meissner and Cathy Gohlke. I haven't read Elizabeth Musser. Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
  3. I've got a copy of Uninvited sitting in my car, waiting to be read. Glad to see you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right about Burial Rites. It was kind of slow. I listened to it, and it took a long time to get through. I'm glad I was listening though because I may have given up in print. I ended up really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just picked up a copy of Uninvited from the library this week! I'm happy to hear that it was a helpful read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard great things about Uninvited. I need to pick it up soon!

    Here are my September reads: https://elle-alice.blogspot.ca/2016/09/september-book-reviews.html

    ReplyDelete