Wednesday, December 3, 2014

November Wrap Up

I had a good reading month in November. I read eight books total. One of them was a novella, but it still counts. My total for the year at the end of November is 77. Here are the books I read and what I thought about them.

Where Treetops Glisten: Three Stories of Heartwarming Courage and Christmas Romance During World War II This is a lovely collection of novellas. I did a full review here.

The Captive (Legends of the Realm, #0.5) This is a novella that is introducing the Legends of the Realm series. It was interesting enough for me to want to give book one a try when it comes out. By the way, Thomas Locke is the pen name for Davis Bunn. If you like his writing, you might want to give this a try.

Half a King (Shattered Sea, #1) This was a really great book. Lots of action and an unlikely hero. There was also a twist at the end I didn't see coming. I am looking forward to book two.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn I have been meaning to read this book for years. I read Joy in the Morning by the same author in high school and loved it. This book gets rave reviews all over the place. I took a really long time to read it. My interest in it came and went. At times it was beautiful, and at other times, boring. It is very gritty considering it was written in the 1950's. I guess my expectations were a little too high.

The Fatal Tree (Bright Empires, #5) This was the final book in The Bright Empires series. I did a review on book one here. I was very satisfied with this ending. It wasn't my favorite book in the series, but the author took great care in wrapping things up.

Hidden Places I decided to reread Lynn Austin this year. I loved this one. It is one of the first ones I read by her, and it is a gem. That lady can tell a story. There is also a very nice Hallmark movie based on this book. I know it's different than the book, but it's still worth watching.

The Elevator I have read a lot of Angela Hunt's book, but somehow this one slipped through the cracks. It was an interesting book. Not one of my favorites by her, but still worth the read. Three women are stuck together on an elevator in a hurricane. They all have secrets, and they are all connected.

Lizzy and Jane I will say right off the bat, this one was a big disappointment for me. I loved Dear Mr. Knightley, but this one just kind of dragged. The main character was a chef, so there were a lot of food descriptions. A LOT. I felt like they kind of dragged the story down. The main character and her sister were a little too blunt for me. I was raised to always be polite and patient, so being blunt tends to rub me the wrong way. This book is getting great reviews everywhere else, so I think it's just me.

What books have you been reading lately? Check out more great books at Modern Mrs. Darcy.

No comments:

Post a Comment