Monday, March 12, 2012

Our Old Friend Homer

This week Anna is finishing a six week literature unit based on Homer Price by Robert McCloskey. This unit is always a little sentimental to me because I remember reading the "diamond bracelet in the doughnut story" when I was in elementary school. And this will probably be the last time I do this unit. That makes me a little sad.

Some of the topics we covered were:

highway signs
the history of radio and television
simple machines
fictional story formats
The Iliad and The Odyssey
chemical elements and the periodic table
cartooning
telephones ~ history and how they work
history of the Red Cross
fiction writing
county fairs
birds and eggs
political parties
Rip Van Winkle
women's suffrage

I kept lousy records on this unit, so that's something I will need to work on with next one which will be about Betsy Ross. Homer Price was really a lot of fun and very low stress. We'll take a couple weeks off before we start Betsy, and I will let Anna pick a history and science topic to study on her own.


No comments:

Post a Comment