Monday, December 20, 2010

My Word of the Year

Did you know austerity is the official word of 2010? You can read about it here. Austerity means "enforced or extreme economy". Based on that definition, I suppose 2010 was a very austere year.

My official word for 2010 was contentment. At the end of 2009 I started to think about what I wasn't, and what I was struggling to be. The word content kept coming to mind. I wanted to stop wanting things, and to start being content with what I already had.

My first step in making contentment my word was to find a corresponding verse to go along with it. I chose 1 Timothy 6:6, "Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth". I wrote this verse down in several places and memorized it. Then I sat back and waited for opportunities to practice being content. Trust me when I tell you I had opportunities to practice contentment coming out of my ears.

My word for 2011 will be ministry. Russty is lead worship again, and all those old feelings of inadequacy are already popping up. the verse I have selected for this year is 1 Corinthians 15:58, "...be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless". I also want to learn more about ministering through my Bible study and reading this year.

Is there anything you want to work on this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment