Friday, January 15, 2016

Quick Lit ~ January

Thanks to the Bout of Books reading challenge, I got off to a great start this year. I have read three books already, and hope to finish a couple more this week. Here's what I have been reading lately.

Just Finished:
Winter Garden

I read Nightingale last summer, and I have been anxious to read another book by Kristin Hannah. This was a quick read, but not nearly as satisfying. I struggled to relate to the modern day characters, and found them a little obnoxious. I enjoyed the parallel story, but it didn't start til nearly halfway through. I will give another book by this author a try, but with lower expectations.

Stars Over Sunset Boulevard

Susan Meissner is easily a favorite author. I have enjoyed everything I have read by her. Her newest book is no exception. I really enjoyed the Hollywood setting, and all the ins and outs of the filming of Gone With the Wind. The writing style is easy to read, and the characters are engaging and complex. though this isn't my favorite of Ms. Miessner's novels, it was still really good. Highly recommended.

Audacious

Overall, this was very good. I prefer Beth Moore as a speaker. Still, this had some good things to say about our love for God and his love for us. I would like to give this another read in the future.

Currently Reading:
Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
Across the Universe

I needed something different after all the literary fiction I read at the beginning of the month. This YA sci-fi is fitting the bill. The main character is frozen to make a three hundred year space journey, but awoken fifty years early. I'm hoping to finish this up this weekend.

The Count of Monte Cristo
The Count of Monte Cristo

I'm reading this for The Deliberate Reader's online book club. I'm hoping to get it finished next week, but I may be reading it forever. It's just so long, and there is so much talking, and there are so many people.

Check out more Quick Lit posts at Modern Mrs. Darcy.


2 comments:

  1. Are you enjoying the deliberate reader's book club?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am. I think I'm going to finish The Count before the end of the month.

      Delete