Friday, January 17, 2014

Book Review: Cloak of Light by Chuck Black

Cloak of Light is a speculative fiction adventure that deals with spiritual warfare. I would describe it as Spiderman meets This Present Darkness. Drew Carter is the protagonist who has obtained some pretty strange "super powers" after a lab accident with his friend Ben. His new abilities include heightened hearing and the ability to see what is going on in the spiritual realm. Drew can now see the battle fought by angels and demons that goes on around us mere mortals all the time. He is a little freaked out by it.

The characters in Cloak of Light are interesting and mysterious. Drew is pretty well fleshed out, and so is his love interest, Sydney. Interestingly enough, Sydney is the only Christian in the story so far. Drew and his friend Ben are not believers. Drew is a very moral young man. He is always fighting for the underdog. He gets these morals from the adults in his life. His deceased father, his mother, and his mentor Jake have a good influence over him.

The plot of the story was just okay for me. This book is definitely written for a YA audience. I think it will appeal more to them than it did to me. There is lots of action and fight scenes. I think I would have enjoyed it if more of the plot was revealed. I felt like the story kind of stayed in place so more could be revealed in the next book.

Overall this was a fun book, and a good set up for the next book in the series. I think it will especially appeal to a younger male audience. I would recommend it to fans of speculative fiction and Frank Peretti's books.

I received this book for free for the purpose of review.

No comments:

Post a Comment