Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Book Review: Burning Sky by Lori Benton

Willa Obenchain is returning home after twelve years of captivity among the Mohawk Indians. Instead of finding her family, she find her childhood home abandoned, and her childhood friend a bitter and resentful enemy determined to take her family's home. Her parents have disappeared and, because they were believed to be British sympathizers, their land will be going up for auction. Willa is determined to save her land and clear her parents name. And she is determined to do it all on her own.

I enjoyed this Historical fiction set in the aftermath of the American Revolution. It was well researched, and the writing was beautiful. I had a lot of sympathy for Willa. She is finally able to come home and she is met with suspicion and anger. She endured many hardships, and is a very somber character. I do wish more time had been given to the time she spent with the Indians. I didn't feel like there was much more than highlights about that part of her life.

While I liked the characters and the writing, I felt like the story got long in the middle. I had trouble staying interested. It picked up toward the end though, and had a good finish. I will definitely read other books by this author in the future.  I would recommend this book to female readers who enjoy character driven stories in an historical setting.

I received this book for free from Waterbrook Multnomah for the purpose of review.

No comments:

Post a Comment