Thursday, April 14, 2011

Saul:The Incredibly Tall, Shrinking Violet

I have been reading through the Bible this year, and I have finally made it to 1 Samuel. I have read about King Saul many times before, but I noticed something different this time. Saul had low self image problems. It says so in 1 Samuel 15:17: " And Samuel told [Saul], 'Although you may think little of yourself, are you not the leader of the tribes of Israel? The LORD has anointed you king of Israel.' "

I have been thinking about this today. 1 Samuel 9:1-2 says Saul was tall, rich, and handsome, yet for some reason, he was never able to see himself as others did.The Bible portrays him as as a disobedient coward consumed with jealousy.

I have always found Saul to be a rather unsympathetic character. He is the antagonist in the story. I have always felt badly for his children who have to pay for his misdeeds. But, after reading what Samuel says to him, I wonder how often that can be said about me. How often does God look at me and say, "Jill, even though you may think little of yourself, haven't I anointed you to do my work?"

I don't want to be like Saul. I don't want to think little of myself and be unable to do the things God has anointed me to do. I don't want to be so busy looking at what others are doing that I am unable to accomplish His work. I want to see myself as God's child, chosen for his purpose, to do his will.

Thankful Thursday
unexpected gifts
being able to share God's word with my children
patio furniture
picnics

No comments:

Post a Comment