Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Book Review: The Pirate Queen

Recently I read The Pirate Queen by Patricia Hickman. I was given this book for free by Multnomah Publishing Group for the purpose of review. I really wanted to love this book, but I didn't. The premise was interesting. A southern socialite decides to leave her husband after 27 years of marriage because of his cheating. On the day she is planning to leave, he comes home and tells her he is dying.

The book deals with life and death, regret, forgiveness, redemption, and salvation. The writing is beautiful. Unfortunately, I just was never able to make a connection to the characters or the story. I expected to cry at the end, but I didn't. I didn't really feel anything for these people. I was also disappointed in the spiritual aspect of the story. It seemed  a little wishy-washy, and lacked any real answers. I got the impression the characters were searching for God, but so little time was spent on the search that I didn't buy into any decisions that were made regarding salvation and eternity.

 The Pirate Queen was a quick read, and the plot moved along nicely. Ms. Hickman has a lovely way with words. I just wish the characters and plot were a little more developed. I would give it a C-.

No comments:

Post a Comment