Monday, September 10, 2012

Summer is Gone ~ School Has Begun

This summer has zipped past us, as all summers seem to do. We started school last week. This school year is so different than the previous ones. The most obvious change is that Adam has graduated. I still have trouble wrapping my head around that thought. I have an eighteen year old, high school graduate. I remember holding him on my 22nd birthday and thinking that when I turned thirty he would be eight, and that was very, very far away.

Another change this year is that I have done very little planning. I'm actually just writing things down as I go. I have a lot of things planned in my head...they just haven't made it to paper yet. For the most part, we are in a rhythm. We just move on to the next level or the next subject. I always try to be flexible, and allow for interest led learning, so the girls have chosen some of their own subjects this year. Here is a break down of what we are learning this year:

Elin ~ 10th grade
Geometry ~ Teaching Textbook
Chemistry ~ Apologia Science
*English 2 ~ Alpha Omega
Spanish 2 ~  Alpha Omega
Home Ecomomics
 Bible ~ Family Reading Bible, church
Speech ~ CEF Training Class
 
*I usually do my own literature units for high school using a reading list and Spark notes. This year, I let Elin choose what she wanted to study. She chose: Romeo and Juliet, Persuasion, Alice in Wonderland, and The Scarlet Letter.
 
 
Anna ~ 5th grade
Math 5 ~ Teaching Textbooks
Language Arts ~ Easy Grammar, Beyond Five in a Row
Science ~ Five in a Row Nature Studies, Beyond Five in a row, interest-led unit studies
History ~ Beyond Five in a Row, interest-led unit studies
Bible ~ Family Reading Bible, church
 
I still have a few more things to purchase, but we are off to a good start. I'm hoping to get a lot accomplished and maintain a good schedule through out the year. We'll see how that goes.


2 comments:

  1. Jill, you could teach moms so much about home schooling. You have it down, tight! Ellen and Romeo and Juliet, doesn't seem possible. She is still 7 in my head!! Love you guys... {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. Elin and Anna are both so grown up now. It's very bittersweet.

      Delete