Wednesday, May 23, 2012

WORDful Wednesday: Galatians

I have been reading the book of Galatians this month. I have been looking for something new to do for my Bible reading and decided to do what John MacArthur suggests, which is read an entire book of the Bible for an entire month. I decided to read my way through the General Electric Power Company books (that's Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians). I read it through a couple of times without really stopping and doing any real studying. Then I read it through in my study Bible a few times, reading the notes, and writing down what I found interesting. Now I am reading it in several different versions. There is a lot packed in this little book, including: the fruit of the Spirit, Paul telling off Peter, the verse about being crucified with Christ, and the comparison between Hagar and Sarah.

The central theme of the book is righteousness by faith, not the law. This is something I am so thankful for. I don't have to live under the rules and regulations of the Old Testament. I don't have to live under the rules and regulations of some person who thinks the are God's mouth piece, and can tell people what to do. I live in the freedom of the grace of God under the blood of Christ.

My favorite verse in Galatians is 3:26-27: "For you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus. And all who have been united with Christ in baptism have put on Christ, like putting on new clothes." I love that picture of coming up out of the water after baptism all clean and ready for a new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment