Thursday, January 31, 2013

January Reading

Read any good books lately? I have read a few already this year. I usually read 4-6 books a month. This month I read 5, so I am right on track.

The Face by Angela Hunt (3.5/5) ~ This was an interesting book. I have always enjoyed Angela Hunt. She's an excellent writer. This story was about a woman with a rare disorder that caused her to be born without a face. As an infant, she only had a small opening for a mouth. Everthing else had to be put on with surgery. She was raised by the CIA and used by them for her computer skills. She grew up thinking she had no family, but later finds out she has an aunt. This changes her life in ways she never imagined. I would have given this a higher score, but the ending bugged me.

Veil of Pearls by MaryLu Tyndall ~ reviewed here.

The Spirit Well by Shephen Lawhead (4/5) ~ This is #3 in  the Bright Empires series. There are supposed to be two more in the future. I think this was my favorite one so far. Lots of adventure and the mystery of  the skin map that everyone is trying to find. If you like time travel novels. This is a great series. I revied the first book, The Skin Map, here.

Glamorous Illusions by Lisa T Bergren (4/5) ~ This was a Kindle freebie that got really good reviews. Overall I enjoyed it. It's the story of a farm girl who finds out she is the illegitimate daughter of a copper tycoon. He decide he wants to integrate her into his family whether she likes it or not. She doesn't like it, and neither do his other children. This is the first in a series about a European summer tour. I liked it, but I doubt I will read the next book.

A Woman Who Trusts God by Debbie Alsdorf (4/5) ~ My word for this year is trust, so I thought it would be fitting to start the year by reading about trust more in depth. This book was a study of Philippians. Its focus was on what to do in "the meantime". The meantime is when your are struggling with life, and you aren't sure what God is doing, or where he is leading you. I in the meantime right now, so this book was great for me.

There's my January reading wrap-up. What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment