Thursday, August 3, 2017

July Wrap Up

I'm linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy to share the books I read this month and what I thought about them.

The Night the Lights Went Out

This one is going to be on my favorites list this year. I loved it. It reminded me of Big Little Lies with it's suburban setting and competitive moms. My big take aways from this book: be kind to people and pass word protect. Highly recommended.

The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1)

I had some issues with this book. It's a crime thriller, which is not a genre I usually read. I enjoyed it for the most part, but the end got a little more descriptive than I would have liked. I also felt there was a lack of justice which made me sad. I doubt I'll continue on in this series. I would steer clear if child deaths are a trigger for you.

The Alice Network

This was another book that was a little too gritty for me. I found the historical details interesting, but there is a torture scene that's just hard to get thru. Quite a lot of profanity, too, for the time period.

Before We Were Yours

Loved this one! I can't believe this is based on real events. It's absolutely heart breaking. You'll definitely want some tissues handy. The story is told in two timelines, and I loved them both. I've enjoyed everything I've read by this author, but I think this is my favorite so far.

Mr. Rochester

This was a delightful retelling of Jane Eyre from Mr. Rochester's point of view. I really enjoyed being able to see what was going on in the story when Jane wasn't around. I thought the author did a wonderful job with the Bertha story line, too. If you're a fan of Jane Eyre you will want to give this a try.

Flight Patterns

Definitely not my favorite by this author, especially after reading The Night the Lights Went Out. I actually abandoned it halfway through last year, and nearly did the same thing this time around. It just moved a little slowly for me, and there's a lot of info about bees.

Did you read anything good last month? Let me know in the comments.

5 comments:

  1. I'm excited for Mr. Rochester - Jane Eyre is one of my favorites, so I'm interested to see another side of the story! I have The Alice Network on my TBR, too, but not sure I'll get to it any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Mr Rochester. It was a really great read.

      Delete
  2. I JUST got The Alice Network at the library today...now I'm a little less sure about it! Hopefully it's worth a 500 page read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I read it because it's an interesting part of history. I just had to skim some parts.

      Delete
  3. I have ben curious about Mr. Rochester! I will add it to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete