Tuesday, July 11, 2017

June Wrap Up

I read some really great books in June. I'm pretty sure a couple of these are going to make my Best of 2017 list. 

The Painter's Daughter

Not my favorite Julie Klassen, but still lots of fun with a good mystery and romance. Plus, I love her covers. She definitely falls under the comfort reads category for me. If you enjoy Regency era fiction, you should give her a try.

 The Jane Austen Project

I hope this is the first book in a new series. I'm not a fan of time travel fiction, but this was a pleasant surprise. It reminded me of the T.V. show Timeless except these time travelers were kind of ok with changing the timeline. If you are looking for something different, give it a try. Disclaimer, there is some adult content.

 Egypt's Sister

This book was so, so, good! I love Angela Hunt, but I think this one has surpassed all her other work. If you like historical fiction, I can't recommend this one enough. I did a full review here.

Windfall

Cute book. I'm not a fan of contemporary YA, but this was a quick read. I passed it on to my daughter who really enjoys this genre.

 A Note Yet Unsung (Belmont Mansion #3)

This is the first book I've read by Tamera Alexander in a long time. I really enjoyed the historical detail she put into it. I learned a lot about orchestras and the struggle for equality that female musicians faced. I found the author's note at the end fascinating.

Jane of Austin: A Novel of Sweet Tea and Sensibility

I loved this retelling of Sense and Sensibility. I'm not a fan of Austin retellings, but this one was excellent. She stuck pretty closely to the story, but managed to make it fit in a contemporary setting. Highly recommended weather you've read the original or not.

Dreamland Burning

My second YA book of the month. That's probably a new record for me. I thought this was a really well written story about the Tulsa race riots. I enjoyed the dual timelines and the characters were very well done. If your are looking for a book with diverse characters, this would fit the bill.

The Night the Lights Went Out

This was a super fun summer read. I think this will be on my favorites list year, and it is definitely my favorite by Karen White. This has everything you would want is Southern fiction, and it's a good reminder to be kind to those around you and to password protect. Because, sometimes, people are not what they seem.


 The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1)

This was an interesting crime thriller. It suffered a little though because I read it after The Night the Lights Went Out. Still, if you like crime novels and who done its, you would enjoy this one.

Well, there's my month in books. What did you read in June? Let me know in the comments.

Check out Modern Mrs. Darcy for more short, quick reviews.


5 comments:

  1. Such a lovely blog! I love crime thrillers, so I am definitely adding The Dry to my TBR!

    I followed your blog, and I would sincerely appreciate it if you checked out my book reviews blog at https://elsbookreviews.blogspot.ca/ and possibly give it a follow as well! Excited to read more of your posts!

    - El

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, El. I followed you back. I love finding new book bloggers.

      Delete
  2. I thought The Night The Lights Went Out was a good summer read. Dreamland Burning and Egypt's Sister are on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! I hope you enjoy the other two as well.

      Delete
  3. Your description of the White book is so good- be kind to those around you and password protect! I haven't heard of this one but might have to read it now. Also the two Austen books.

    ReplyDelete