Thursday, December 8, 2016

Book Review ~ Of Stillness and Storm

Of Stillness and Storm

This book wasn't anything like I thought it would be. I was expecting a story about a woman struggling with infidelity, but instead it was about the unraveling of a missionary family. I felt a lot of sympathy for the main character, Lauren. She really wanted her marriage to work. The struggles she was having broke my heart. There were so many red flags she chose to ignore about the man she was married to. I also felt badly for her son who never really wanted to go to the mission field in the first place.

I think it's important to say that this isn't a normal missionary situation. Lauren and her family are very isolated, and she and her son are not included in any of the work her husband is doing. They also aren't supported by any kind of organization, so there's no one watching out for them and helping them succeed.

I was frustrated through much of the story with Lauren's husband, Sam. I really wanted to root for this marriage, but Sam's actions made that virtually impossible. He is very manipulative and arrogant. The story is told entirely from Lauren's POV, so I really don't know what Sam was doing all those weeks he was gone. I wish his character was a little more developed.

I want to say I enjoyed this book, but it was such a hard story to read. These people's struggles were very real. Ministry is hard wherever you are, and you need people around that will help and support you. There is redemption and hope at the end, but things don't really resolve completely. I would recommend this book to people who are ok with books that aren't wrapped up with a bow at the end.

Litfuse is hosting an awesome give away for this book here.

I received a free copy of this book from Litfuse for the purpose of review.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts. I have to be in the right frame of mind to read books like this, so thanks for the heads up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading Michele's book Tangled Ashes. My husband and I have been enjoying her books. You are right though. They are hard reads that deals with life situations that need healing. Thanks for your review. We were wondering about if we would buy this book or not.

    ReplyDelete